Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Refried Black Beans



As you've probably guessed (or perhaps you know because I've written it one thousand times on this blog), I'm a big fan of beans. They are my number one protein preference and I'm on a mission to show the world just how versatile they really are.

Refried beans  are delicious, but when you buy them in a can they are generally packed with sodium, fat, and extra calories. I decided to make my own and it really wasn't that hard. I added them to a whole grain tortilla, topped with salsa verde, a squeeze of lime, and some avocado. They would also be delicious in a breakfast burrito or piled on top of nachos. 





Recipe: Refried black beans

Black Beans, cooked - 2 cups 
Onion, chopped - 1/4 cup 
Garlic, minced - 2 cloves 
Cumin - 1/2 tsp 
Serrano pepper, roasted and chopped - 1 
Olive oil - 1/2 tbsp 
Water - 2-4 cups 

Directions: 
Add olive oil to a hot pan and fry onion and serrano pepper (you can also use jalapeno). Add garlic and cumin stir together and add beans to the pan (about 1/2 cup at a time).
Smash/smoosh/squash the beans with your spoon or potato masher, adding a little bit of water to moisten the consistency*. Continue to add the beans, smashing along the way. I added about 1/4 cup of water at a time until I came up with my desired consistency. This will be different for everyone, so stop when you feel you have reached the right level of moisture and smoothness. If you've added too much, fear not, just cook for a little while longer and the water will (hopefully) evaporate. Go ahead and let the beans start to get crispy and crunchy before stirring them.
*You can also blend your beans in a food processor and then fry on a pan. I decided to kick it old school and do it with a spoon and potato masher.....cutting down on dish washing time played a key role in this decision.

Wishing you tasty meals and happy days,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment