Monday, November 7, 2011

Breakfast for the Snoozer

I don't know about you but I prefer to spend my mornings sleeping. I would hit the snooze button for hours if I could. Once I'm out of bed I am good to go, it's the getting out of bed part that hurts the most. The snooze section of my morning often means that I end up rushing like a mad woman to get out of the house. But let's face it - a girl's gotta eat. Working without breakfast is a waste of time and energy. Everything takes longer, things go wrong, I get grumpy - you know how it goes. 

One of my favourite breakfasts is my Ramekin Frittatas. They look fancy but they are quick, easy, versatile, and delicious. Plus they come in their own personal sized ramekin which is just so darn cute (cute things matter in the morning).


To make sure we are all on the same page: a ramekin is a single serve, heat proof dish. It's french and eating out of a french dish also makes me feel better in the morning (it's the little things that count). 

This is a make ahead recipe. I'm always chopping up veggies when making dinner so I just chop a little extra. I toss the veggies into the ramekin, scramble together two eggs with a bit of milk and season as desired (oregano and basil, chilli flakes and pepper, garlic and cayenne, etc.). Pour the egg mixture over the veggies, add some feta cheese, and bake at 400F for about 20 minutes (or until the egg is cooked through). 

In the morning I pop one in the microwave for 2 minutes and eat while doing my makeup, hair, and getting dressed - it's all about multitasking! 

 5 great things about this breakfast: 
1. It's high in protein which helps me feel full for most of the morning 
2. Eggs keep well in the refrigerator so I make a few at a time and eat throughout the week. 
3. It's a great way to get veggies in during breakfast. 
4. It's portable. Sometimes multitasking just doesn't work out. Wrap some saran wrap over the dish and heat up at work. Much better than picking up a bagel and cream cheese. 
5. It's a delicious start to the day.






Wishing you an extra 5 minutes of sleep,
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment