Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Frittata Brunch


In my humble opinion, Sunday morning and delicious brunch go hand-in-hand. Last week I purchased a round, glass baking dish and I've been dying to make a frittata with it ever since!  Today was the day! I must warn you now, this isn't your average veggie frittata. This frittata is jam packed with vegetables. At one point I was a little worried that there wouldn't be enough room for the egg mixture but everything worked out just perfectly.  


I'll post the recipe and photo below, but first a few notes on frittata making: 
  1. You don't really need a recipe - any fresh or frozen vegetables you have on hand will do perfectly fine!
  2. While I'm excited to use my new round baking dish, it's certainly not a requirement. You can use any sort of dish that will hold in a liquid egg mixture. In the past I have used a frying pan. Just be careful not to grab the hot handle once you've taken it out of the oven - I've done this WAY too often! Wrap a towel around the handle to remind yourself that it is hot!
  3. I don't  normally measure spices. I sprinkle them on my food until it feels just right! Now, I realize that this isn't optimal for those who don't understand the impact of a certain spice/herb in a dish. For those of you who are less comfortable with spices I will try my best to estimate. Also, I am inclined to make my food spicy. If this isn't for you, go ahead and use your own favourite spices - oregano, basil, cilantro, dill - all would be great choices for this type of dish.
  4. If the top of your frittata is browned before all of the egg has cooked, cover the top with a piece of aluminum foil and return to the oven. This should prevent the frittata from burning.


Vegetable Frittata: 
Ingredients: 

Red Pepper 1
Spinach 1 package (about 4 or 5 cups)
Yellow Zucchini 1
Leek 1
Green Onion 2
Mushrooms 2 (because that's all I had!)
Garlic, minced 2 cloves

Eggs 6
Milk about 1/4 cup (60 mL)
Feta Cheese about 1/4 cup (60 mL)

Black Pepper, ground
Chili Powder 1 Tbsp (estimate)
Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp (estimate)
Red Chilli Flakes 1 tsp (estimate)


Directions: 

Preheat oven to 375°C.
Heat oil on medium-high. Add vegetables & heat until cooked, stirring frequently.
Place cooked veggies in a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
Whisk together eggs, milk, and spices.
Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the egg has turned from liquid to solid and the top is slightly browned.

Serve & enjoy!






2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!!!
    We sometimes use egg whites - can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! 1 egg= 2 egg whites.
    So if you want to replace half the eggs in this recipe with egg whites you would use: 3 eggs + 6 egg whites

    ReplyDelete