Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I'm coconut for you


Coconut shrimp have been popping up all over the place lately - magazines, restaurants, websites, cookbooks. I had a bag of shrimp in my freezer that needed to be put to good use so I gave it a try!

I must say, the process was much easier than I expected.

Bowl #1 - Whole wheat flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and chilli powder (use whatever spices or herbs you like)
Bowl # 2 - 1 egg white, whisked well
Bowl # 3 - Shredded coconut

Remove the shell from each shrimp. Roll each shrimp in the bowls (in order, 1-2-3!)  and place on a pan or a wire rack. Pop 'em in the oven at 425˚C for 5 minutes, flip and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Badda-bing-badda-boom you've got yourself some coconut shrimp!

I needed something sweet and spicy for dipping so I combined honey with some home made pepper sauce. Fast, easy, and delicious.




While this was a super fun dish to make, I must admit that it was kind of random to have for dinner. I'm guessing that it would be a hit at a potluck or as an appetizer at a dinner party!

Give it a try, have some fun & enjoy!
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment