Sunday, October 2, 2011

Playing with Fresh Vanilla

A few weeks ago I was at a Farmer's Market and purchased some vanilla beans. I use vanilla extract on a regular basis but have never worked with the actual bean before.

The first thing I had to do was get my Google on and figure out how the heck I was supposed to get the vanilla out of the bean.

The process is pretty easy: slice open the husk and scoop out the beans. I photo-documented the process for your viewing pleasure:

Vanilla Beans 
Wash the bean before cutting 
Cut each end off the bean

Cut each end of the bean

Slice lengthwise down the centre of the husk 

Using a knife scrape the small vanilla beans out of the inside of the husk

Voila: Fresh Vanilla! 


Use the beans in any recipe that calls for vanilla. 

WAIT! WE'RE NOT DONE!!

The husk is full of incredible fragrance and oils that should be put to good use! The internet tells me that the husk can be stored in sugar or vodka and after a couple of days it will impart a delicious vanilla flavour. Vanilla sugar and vanilla vodka don't really appeal to me, so after a quick search of my kitchen I decided to store my husk in homemade granola. BEST DECISION EVER. After a couple of days my granola had a wonderful warm vanilla scent and flavour. Success!

Wishing you a warm and fragrant week, 
R.



No comments:

Post a Comment